Wednesday, February 23, 2011

McKenna pays tribute to Devils legends

New Jersey Devils
The New Jersey Devils keeper Mike McKenna always has so cool ideas for his masks, and when he told me about his thoughts for this mask I understood it was going to be great fun to create it. Mike wanted to celebrate two goalies from the Devils organisation, Chico Resch and Lindsay Middlebrook. And he also wanted a racing inspired design in the bottom.

I got started and created a design in old school spirit where the Devils logo rules big on each side. And inside the logos I have created a design in the design, with old school oil paint tech I have created tribute paintings of the goalies. On the left side Chico with portrait and action picture, together with his number. On the other side an action motif with Middlebrook, and a picture of The China Wall, that was his nickname! I love to paint details like these!

The rest of the design is a graphic design that is very much racing inspired, just like McKenna's previous masks, check out the racing flag in the background. And as usual, lots of details spiced up with 3-D effects.