Thursday, September 22, 2011

Skull soldiers on Mason's new mask

Columbus Blue JacketsIt's so fun and creative to be Steve Mason's mask painter.He always wants new stuff and is always open to new ideas. I love to work as a chameleon, to change paint style to whatever suits the design theme.

This time Steve wanted something really scary to show the horror of war. But scary in a new way, not just attacking monsters... I love to think outside the box. I see myself as much a storyteller as a painter. My idea was to create a scary feeling all over the mask and I came up with this calm theme, calm in a scary and disturbing way. Just silent and scary, a new kind.

So on the left side an artwork with the theme of horror of war. Scary civil war skull soldiers give the design it's name ”SkullSoldiers”. As you can see I'm also inspired by horror movies and scary cartoons, and this is also a tribute to that.

The other side is a logo themed design, looks sharp from a distance, and when you come close you discover a new dimension of details. The side is painted like it is stitched, in a scary way. When you come even closer you will see that all areas are painted with dramatic lines to add even more scary and disturbing feelings.

Check out Steve Mason's new Columbus Blue Jackets mask design in the mask gallery or on Facebook, or in the DAVEART App.